Paradigm and Pantera-backed Tagomi has become the first cryptocurrency brokerage to receive a coveted Bitlicense from New York state, which will enable the firm to offer a broad range of services around cryptoasset trading, custody and issuance.
Tagomi offers prime services on an agency basis for sophisticated investors of Bitcoin, Ether, and other digital assets. Earlier today the company announced their subsidiary, Tagomi Trading LLC, had received a Bitlicense and Money Transmitter License from the New York Department of Financial Services. Tagomi was founded less than a year ago.
Tagomi’s Bitlicense is the fourteenth granted by the state agency and the first issued by Linda Lacewell, who assumed the position of NYDFS superintendent in March 2019.
Receiving a Bitlicense positions Tagomi for expansion and offers New York-based investors a compliant way to prioritize best execution when placing large trades.
According to NYDFS, a Bitlicense is required for any entity engaging in activities including:
- Virtual currency transmission
- Storing, holding, or maintaining custody or control of virtual currency on behalf of others
- Buying and selling virtual currency as a customer business
- Performing exchange services as a customer business
- Controlling, administering, or issuing a virtual currency