Bitcoin spot ETF approvals most likely a sell-the-news event: K33

Quick Take

  • Bitcoin spot ETF approvals becoming a sell-the-news event is the most likely scenario this month, according to K33 Research analyst Vetle Lunde.
  • Lunde suggests a 75% likelihood of this outcome versus 20% for approval inflows propelling prices higher and a 5% probability that the filings are denied.

A decision is expected on bitcoin spot ETFs between Jan. 8 and Jan. 10, though market-moving news may break earlier, according to K33 Research. Regardless, Senior Analyst Vetle Lunde expects approvals to become a sell-the-news event — or, at least, that's the most likely scenario.

“Everything points towards traders being considerably exposed ahead of the verdict, with derivatives pushing massive premiums following BTC -0.01% ’s last three months of continuous upside momentum,” Lunde wrote in a report. “A sell-the-news event could become a self-fulfilling prophecy as a significant share of short-term market participants has eyeballed the event as an area for profit taking.”

Lunde put the probability of the sell-the-news scenario at 75% versus a 20% chance of approval, followed by significant inflows offsetting selling pressure from shorter-term traders and propelling prices higher. While recent meetings and updated S-1 prospectuses’ between the filers and the Securities and Exchange Commission suggest approval is imminent, Lunde suggested there was still a 5% chance the ETFs would be denied.

A crowded trade

The analyst pointed toward signs of froth in the market, with futures premiums surging to annualized levels of 50% on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange as institutional participants demonstrate expectations of approval by continuing to build long exposure. The premium is the difference between the spot price of an asset and the price of its futures.

CME annualized BTC premiums. Image: K33 Research.

Open interest grew by more than 50,000 BTC over the past three months, likely motivated by front-running bitcoin spot ETF approvals, Lunde added. “At current premiums, maintaining CME exposure involves a 1-2% rolling cost each and every month — an acceptable cost of carry over a medium-term horizon ahead of a pivotal event but unsustainable in the long term, particularly as cheaper exposure alternatives arise,” he said.

On the retail side, funding rates on offshore exchanges are also reaching extremes, hitting an annualized high of 72% amid bitcoin’s latest overnight rally. “Shorts are reluctant to enter the market with the ETF verdict one week away, increasing perp premiums to the spot market and making longs expensive to maintain,” K33 Research said. “Aggressive leverage from longs may set up the market for long squeezes following the ETF verdict.”

THE SCOOP

Keep up with the latest news, trends, charts and views on crypto and DeFi with a new biweekly newsletter from The Block's Frank Chaparro

By signing-up you agree to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
By signing-up you agree to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

Binance BTC/USDT funding rates. Image: K33 Research.

Bitcoin gained more than 5% over the last 24 hours, breaking past $45,000 amid the increasing U.S. spot ETF approval anticipation. Bitcoin is currently trading at $45,269, according to The Block’s price data.

BTC/USD price chart. Image: The Block/TradingView.

Down before up again

The bitcoin spot ETFs have “certainly been front-run,” Lunde said, but whether that has been by too much or too little depends on the flows once the products launch. Though flows from “inferior” products, like futures-based ETFs, are likely, the “critical factor” is the net inflow of new money, which should be at least 50,000 BTC ($2.3 billion) in January, Lunde added.

Lunde expects the current bitcoin price rally to peak on the ETF verdict date due to sizable profit-taking from shorter-term traders and unsustainable premiums. However, longer-term, the analyst sees money flowing through the potential spot ETFs, combined with the supply shock of the Bitcoin halving event in April, compounding favorably as the year progresses.


Disclaimer: The Block is an independent media outlet that delivers news, research, and data. As of November 2023, Foresight Ventures is a majority investor of The Block. Foresight Ventures invests in other companies in the crypto space. Crypto exchange Bitget is an anchor LP for Foresight Ventures. The Block continues to operate independently to deliver objective, impactful, and timely information about the crypto industry. Here are our current financial disclosures.

© 2023 The Block. All Rights Reserved. This article is provided for informational purposes only. It is not offered or intended to be used as legal, tax, investment, financial, or other advice.

About Author

James Hunt is a reporter at The Block, based in the UK. As the writer behind The Daily newsletter, James also keeps you up to speed on the latest crypto news every weekday. Prior to joining The Block in 2022, James spent four years as a freelance writer in the industry, contributing to both publications and crypto project content. James’ coverage spans everything from Bitcoin and Ethereum to Layer 2 scaling solutions, avant-garde DeFi protocols, evolving DAO governance structures, trending NFTs and memecoins, regulatory landscapes, crypto company deals and the immersive metaverse. You can get in touch with James on Twitter or Telegram via @humanjets or email him at [email protected].

Editor

To contact the editor of this story:
Adam James at
[email protected]