Payment processor Worldpay sells to private equity firm GTCR at valuation of $18.5 billion

Quick Take

  • Fidelity National Information Services is selling a majority stake in payment giant Worldpay to private equity firm GTCR at a valuation of $18.5 billion.

Private equity firm GTCR agreed to buy a majority stake in payments firm Worldpay from Fidelity National Information Services at a valuation of $18.5 billion, according to a statement.

"GTCR will acquire 55% of Worldpay, and [Fidelity National Information Services] will retain the remaining 45%, in a transaction that values the business at $18.5 billion," the firm said. The private equity giant is spending $11.7 billion to acquire the controlling interest in Worldpay, according to Reuters.

Fidelity National Information Services agreed to pay about $35 billion for Worldpay roughly four years ago.

Worldpay's crypto plans

The company last year announced expanded interest in cryptocurrency when Fidelity said the payment unit would allow its merchant clients to accept direct "settlement" for payments made in the USDC stablecoin.

At the time, Fidelity also said it would partner with both Circle and trading platform Crypto.com as part of the plan.

THE SCOOP

Keep up with the latest news, trends, charts and views on crypto and DeFi with a new biweekly newsletter from The Block's Frank Chaparro

By signing-up you agree to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
By signing-up you agree to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

The Block contacted GTCR for comment regarding any plans for Worldpay's cryptocurrency endeavors in the wake of the deal but did not immediately receive a response. 

 

 

 


© 2023 The Block. All Rights Reserved. This article is provided for informational purposes only. It is not offered or intended to be used as legal, tax, investment, financial, or other advice.

About Author

RT Watson is a senior reporter at The Block who covers a wide array of topics including U.S.-based companies, blockchain gaming and NFTs. Formerly covered entertainment at The Wall Street Journal, where he wrote about Disney, Netflix, Warner Bros. and the creator economy while focusing primarily on technological disruption across media. Previous to that he covered corporate, economic and political news in Brazil while at Bloomberg. RT has interviewed a diverse cast of characters including CEOs, media moguls, top influencers, politicians, blue-collar workers, drug traffickers and convicted criminals. Holds a master's degree in Digital Sociology.

Editor

To contact the editor of this story:
Nathan Cr