As the decentralized finance (DeFi) world continues to boom, regulatory questions have begun to loom over the space. The Block hosted a panel of thought-leading lawyers to touch on some of those questions in "DeFi and the Law: A round table discussion with crypto's leading lawyers."
In addition to distilling how the legal and regulatory world views developing definitions of words like "decentralized," the panel also touched on:
- Why regulators are grappling with where to point the finger when it comes to decentralized projects
- Why the Howey Test may not be enough to figure out what is and isn't a security
- Where Automatic Market Makers like Uniswap may face more regulator scrutiny in their dealings
- Why prediction markets are considered illegal and what that means for decentralized venues
- What guidance from Bank Secrecy Act and Office of Foreign Assets Control means for DeFi
- How governance tokens can be a money making solution but a slippery slope for compliance.
© 2023 The Block Crypto, Inc. All Rights Reserved. This article is provided for informational purposes only. It is not offered or intended to be used as legal, tax, investment, financial, or other advice.